Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Because I said I would

I was so looking forward to this weekend. No commitments, no pressing errands to run, I was going to be able to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Then she called. My sister called to remind me that I needed to pick up our father at the airport this weekend at 9:00 since she was going to be out of town. This was primarily her responsibility, since he stays with her when he comes up here.
Just so you get the idea of how much this irked me, I work 3-11 Monday through Friday and my commute is about 40 minutes. Unless I am just totally exhausted, I can never go home and go straight to bed. I have to force myself to go to bed by 1:30. On Fridays, my fiancé and I tend to hang out and have a couple of drinks since we don’t get to spend much time together during the week and that could be a 2:30 or 3:00. Throw in the fact that my Dad and I don’t get along, and never have, that makes getting up at 8:00 on a Saturday a chore that I really just don’t want to do. But of course I did it because I said I would.

My mother says that we don’t get along because we are so much alike. I think it’s because in the ways most important to him, we are nothing alike. My dad is a minister and has been for 27 plus years. Everything in his life revolves around the church. My fiancé and I are getting married in Las Vegas…(more on that later)…and he’s not coming because he doesn’t like Las Vegas and ‘the lifestyle that it promotes’. That’s just the most recent event that fuels our contentious relationship. Needless to say, getting up early on Saturday was not my idea of getting my weekend off to a good start. It was all good though, I got him to my sister’s apartment with no cross words or bloodshed.

So, how was every one else’s weekend?

2 comments:

Chloe said...

My dad told me a long time ago he wouldn't come to my wedding because he "doesn't do crowds." He's demeaning and caustic in every sense, and I'm sure that once I leave I'll never speak to him again, for my sanity.

Good for you for staying civil. I know it's often the hardest thing in the world.

Earl said...

I actually went several years without speaking to him. My mother finally squashed that but our relationship was strained from the beginning; and got worse as time went on. I think the straw for me was when I was a senior in high school, and he decided that my grades weren't good enough for him to pay for the school that my grades were good enough to get me into. (I graduated high school with a 3.5 gpa)