Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Aspirations and Detours

When I was a kid I always wanted to be a writer. Before I settled on my dream of becoming a police officer, I wanted to be a journalist. Teachers had always told me that I had a talent for writing and I enjoyed doing it. I was also a voracious reader. I read everything I could get my hands on up until I finished high school. I still read and still thought about writing, but finding the time was always a challenge. Also by that point I knew I wanted to be in Law Enforcement in some form or another. Once I came to the realization that college wasn't an option right after high school, I decided to go into the military and pursue my goal to be a cop. At 17 you can pretty much be talked into anything and I was. Even though my recruiter told me that there were many LE jobs open, I signed a document saying that they could pretty much place me in any job they saw fit. I was not a happy person pretty much through my entire enlistment.

Eventually, I achieved my goal of becoming a cop. I worked as a housing cop for a few years and eventually got on another small department where I stayed for a few years. Once my law enforcement career was in full swing, I decided that I wanted to be a detective. My efforts to do that were met with some...resistance from the powers that be. Circumstances converged to send me in another direction when my old partner from when I was in housing called me. He had gotten into the technical field during the height of the economic boom in the mid-late nineties. He called me one day to tell me he had just landed his first six-figure salary job. I just happened to get that call after a blowout with my chief and made the decision to change careers. (Just in time for the economic slowdown - Timing is everything isn't it?)

Nevertheless, I am well into my tech career now and loving it. I'm learning how to build websites and write HTML code and all sorts of fun things. A friend of mine sent me a link to this posting on Random Squeegee one day and my foray into the blogsphere was launched.

Another friend of mine and I had been talking about starting a sports website because whenever we would watch sports whether it was with each other or separately, whatever comments we made would invariably be said by the commentators within seconds; often verbatim. That will probably start off as a blog in the very near future as well, so stay tuned sports fans!

It seems that the old cliché about 'coming full circle' applies here. Let's see where this goes....

No comments: